Wednesday, October 31, 2012

RISE OF THE ZOMBIES review

    Eyes! Lungs! Pancreas! So many snax so little time! Had extremely low expectations for RISE OF THE ZOMBIES (R.O.T.Z for short) but it starts out with a chimp in the first scene! No one told me 'bout the chimp! And Levar Burton is in this! Reading Rainbow! And Danny Trejo shooting undead fux in the face! Sign me up for the long haul! So far so good.
   SPOILER!:Danny gets taken out by the 30 minute mark. Wish I had known that beforehand going into R.O.T.Z. There is alot of gore and lots of zombie destruction in R.O.T.Z. This is from the director of ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE , Nick Lyon , and  while he is no Lodge Kerrigan or Douglas Buck , he has improved his directing chops in between these two zombie potboilers and R.O.T.Z. is alot better than ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. But I'm pretty forgiving. But it does have alot of gore and some of the zombies really look nasty and check it out for the part on the bridge! Pretty disgust filled!    My complaint with R.O.T.Z is the same one I have with ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE and that's that there is no foggy night time scenes , no creepy creepshow skeleton zombies , no actual rising of zombies from graves , no spooky late show music , nothing like that. Have new film makers completely forgotten about mood , atmosphere , and the good ol' "tell me a scary story" ethic? Would love to see a zombie movie like that!  Until then we have R.O.T.Z. Which wasn't that bad. If I could get a special unrated directors cut edition I'd get it. -arty

No comments:

Post a Comment