Monday, October 15, 2012

SHE FREAK dvd Review

        You truly are a abomination....SHE FREAK is a remake/ripoff of the 1932 cult classic FREAKS and could be cast aside with little else said about it but after viewing it recently for the 2nd time I enjoyed it more than the first time I saw it and it was made in 1967  written and produced by David f. Friedman but directed by Byron Mabe and set in a carnival and is about a girl named Jade who is looking for a easier way to make money than workin' a dead end job. Jade is a backstabbin' wench but at first I can kind of see where she is coming from but there is no doubt that she is the bad guy and will become the She Freak by the end of the movie..
    The dvd itself is nice , the cover is cool , makes you think the movie is gonna be a hoot , a real b level gem , it has lots and LOTS of xtras including commentary and the picture quality is  , well , great! I wish all these old movies looked as good as SHE FREAK does. The movie itself is a bit uneven and lackluster. It takes place in a carnival with a bunch of freaks , weirdos , bums , drunks , and such but the movie is not all that sleazy or violent. And you don't see the She Freak 'till the very , very end of the movie but with seeing it again I gotta say that I think the makeup works really well. I've read some reviews that bash the make up job but I think it's pretty cool and the first time I saw her I thought she was supposed to be a half reptile creature but that is not the case. She gets mutilated offscreen and that is why she looks all fucked up but she is not a monster hybrid creature or anything  like that. It would of been cool to see her stalking the carnival grounds after dark or screwing the dog faced boy or killin' a little kid but no. Nothin' like that.....and there is no dog faced boy , but come to think of it there is a really hairy guy near the end so maybe he was supposed to be the dog faced guy.
    THE SLEAZE FACTOR. Like I mentioned , not that high. There is one fight scene where a guy gets stabbed through the hand with a screwdriver , which is another effect they did a decent job on , but other than that not much to brag about. I wish SHE FREAK woulda been directed by John Waters , I think he could have done a good job of making SHE FREAK nasty , gross , and violent but I think John waters was like 15 yrs old in 1967 , maybe older I'm not sure , someone check that and leave a comment on it.
    I'm glad I saw SHE FREAK again , some movies get better with multiple viewings , some don't ; SHE FREAK is one that got better. The dvd is from a company called SOMETHING WEIRD and if you are not familiar with SOMETHING WEIRD the folks behind it genuinely seem to love these bad old movies and take great care in their restoration and presentation. I got SHE FREAK in a box set called THE FREAK SHOW box set along with FRANKENSTEINS CASTLE OF FREAKS , BLOOD FREAK , and BASKET CASE. This box set cost me a little less than $30.00 and I'm glad I got it. The box itself is cool too , very sturdy. Even if you don't buy the box SHE FREAK is less than $10.00 on amazon or check out the something weird website. Finally thanx to anyone that read this review and please leave a comment. -arty
www.somethingweird.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment