Wednesday, October 24, 2012

...It's Mystery Science Theater 3000! POD PEOPLE


    Yes. Perhaps we could kiss your still beating heart before devouring it. Have you seen this shit , this POD PEOPLE shit? How did we come to this level of cheezy B-movie insanity that we wantonly seek out and watch a movie like POD PEOPLE. And enjoy it. My search for POD PEOPLE started because of the Cinema Snobs review of it. I remember him stating that it was a fairly decent movie marred by behind the scenes bullshit and that it started as a horror movie but someone thought it would make more $$ as a E.T. ripoff. Anyway , I looked for the dvd on amazon and they do have it under the alternate title EXTRATERRESTRIAL VISITORS , which I thought was a little pricey and they had the MST3K version but I just wanted POD PEOPLE. Looked for it on youtube and youtube only has the MST3K version. So I watched it. It's one of the earlier episodes with Joel , and the voices of the bots sound a little different to me but it is a good episode , one of the fan favorites and they do alot of funny skits making fun of POD PEOPLE. And the movie itself is fucking weird. It starts out with scenes from a completely different movie called GALAXY INVADER , which is also on youtube and I've seen it , hell , I even got one of those 50 sci-Fi packs just so I could have it in my collection! It has shoddy stop motion , more fog than the movie THE FOG , (Tom Servo coins that line) and the alien called Trumpy. Some people hate the dogshit out of POD PEOPLE , some people like it and I like it. It's one of those movies where it's mostly boring and nothing happens but it's hypnotizing and soothing to watch and I want to see it without the MST3K commentary. Guess I'll have to actually buy it. There's alot more behind the scenes stuff to this movie. I read it was made before E.T. I hear it was made after , I do know it's from the director of PIECES. The MST3Ka version is the way to go if you see it , I'm assuming you love MST3K and have probably all ready seen it but if you haven't it's alot of fun , it's in my top 10 favorite episodes and I almost can't imagine it without the riff track but I still want a copy , I gotta have one. Maybe you too. -arty

No comments:

Post a Comment